We are currently looking for short monologues or plays that have been inspired by an Irish song or a song with a strong connection to Ireland, for our next “Shows From the Songs” evening. To date we have held three of these events.
The format of this evening is that the spoken pieces are performed as rehearsed readings. The spoken piece follows the singing of the song which inspired it. The song will be sung by our singer on his/her own or with the audience. The choice of the song is yours- well known folk songs or something more contemporary. Do bear in mind that, wherever possible we like our audience to join in, even if it is only with the chorus.
In the past we have had staged work inspired by songs including: Danny Boy, Cockles and Mussels, The Town I Loved So Well, The Leaving of Liverpool, When Irish Eyes Are Smiling, Dublin in the Rare Old Times, Delaney’s Donkey, Leaving on a Jet Plane, All You Need is Love, and I’ll Take You Home Again Kathleen.
SOME THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- All entries must be typed
- The work must take no longer than 10 minutes to perform.
- All monologues and plays must be set in the UK .
- One the characters in the piece must have a strong connection to Ireland.
- A maximum of two actors will be available for each piece
- Please email your entries to email@example.com
- All entries should be original and not have been submitted previously
- Please ensure that you name and address are on a separate page to your writing
- As this is an on-going project you may submit your entries at any time
- We will contact you if your work has been selected with details of when and where it will be performed.
- Your work will be performed as rehearsed readings at one of our Shows From The Songs events in 2018/2019
- As we are an unfunded, theatre production company, we cannot pay you a fee for your work, however you will receive two complimentary tickets to the performance.
- We regret that we are unable to enter into any correspondence about the pieces.